We are a mid-sized forwarding agent with a history that goes back to the year 1918. In the small town of Peterslahr in Westerwald, business operations began as a bakery, soon switching to trade in coal.
In 1939, Peter Schmitt founded the forwarding business, the basis of today’s company. His eldest son Hans K. Schmitt soon joined the company as well. Under his management, together with his wife Ursula Schmitt, the company underwent further development until the 2000s.
Today, Peter Schmitt represents the third generation to manage the company, which now employs at its operating sites Oberhonnefeld, Schmölln and Denkendorf, as well as at Willemsen Transport GmbH in Goch, over 300 well-trained employees in the divisions Logistics & Forwarding, Construction Materials & Disposal and Truck Service.
|1939||Founding of forwarding business in Peterslahr|
|1954||Permit for commercial short-distance hauling|
|1958||Permit for commercial long-distance hauling|
|1960||Construction material wholesaling added to performance range|
|1970||Vehicle fleet and workshop move into new location in Oberhonnefeld (Rheinland-Palatinate)|
|1979||Lorry workshop Oberhonnefeld recognized as qualified master operation (Meisterbetrieb)|
|1983||Office operations move into new administration building in Oberhonnefeld|
|1992||Founding of branch location Schmölln in Thüringen|
|1995||Removal to new operations site in Schmölln and startup of Schmölln lorry workshop as qualified master operation (Meisterbetrieb)|
|2002||Certification as disposal operation|
|2004||Construction of new logistics facility in Oberhonnefeld|
|2006||Founding of branch location Stuttgart in Denkendorf (Baden-Württemberg)|
|2020||Merger of Willemsen Transport GmbH into the Schmitt Group|